Sunday, January 27, 2013

New Compton PPA

It's finished. A new PPA is available for Comtpon, the lightweight compositing manager. Thanks to cchj and Richard Grenville we have a new thirdparty repository available. It has been tested on both Quantal and Raring, and I must say it's pretty stable. Just follow the instructions provided at the Compton page at Tips'n'Tricks. Enjoy!

PS. Soon I'll update the configuration guide to modify the settings file without using pasameters at the command line.

12 comments:

celso said...

Thanks! I Will try it!

Anonymous said...

It's Grenville with one e.

礁湖神癒 said...

@Grenville: sorry :)

@Anonymous: I'm afraid Compton will not be included in Ubuntu general repos, but maybe it can be moved onto Lubuntu testing PPA

Nas said...

Awesome
Compton is one of my 2012 favorite apps :D

Kudus to the developers!

Corbin Davenport said...

I'll have to try this on my Pentium. I wonder how well it will run with 512 MB of RAM :D

Jebril said...

So which one is better Compton or Cairo as a composite manager for Lubuntu?

礁湖神癒 said...

I think each one has its own goals, there's no competition. They do the same: activating the compositing effects. But they're very very different.

Cairo is very easy to use (has a friendly GUI and a systray menu), it has more effects and it's extensible via plugins. But it's a bit unattended (there's no new PPAs or binaries since a few years).

Compton is command line (CLI), but irt's more simple (so faster and more lightweight), and it's a new project (forked from xcompmgr) actively developed.

It's a matter of taste :)

Stefan Alexander Meng said...

Nice! :D

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Please what is your compton settings. Thanks

礁湖神癒 said...

Of course. My compton.conf file content is here:
http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/5558044/

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much bro, very nice config!

dr.dave said...

Does this work on PowerPC Lubuntu?