Sunday, February 16, 2014

Trusty Tahr artwork last sprint

We're about to "freeze" the artwork for this upcoming release, the Trusty Tahr. In a few days we'll present the Community Wallpaper Contest so anybody should upload his own creation.

You can read here all the details of this artwork release. Also, I will upgrade the download links in this blog (sorry, can't handle everything so fast) so other Linux (not Ubuntu) may use it. More information to come. Stay tuned!


  1. Wonderful work...I really like all the icons!

    A very minor annoyance is that the icon for Midori uses a Chinese character which is slightly different than the one in Japanese (for "midori", meaning "green" in Japanese):

    FYI: free, beautiful Japanese fonts are available in here:
    "Download IPA Fonts"
    - IPAP Mincho: serif, proportional
    - IPAP Gothic: sans, proportional

  2. I must kindly disagree. When I take a Japanese kanji (which is, in fact, talking about ethimological sources the same "alphabet") I'm using the Japanese Wikipedia as information.

    Also, when I install the Keybaord Input Method in Lubuntu and use it, the kanji it suggests is this: 緑 (Anthy input method for Japanese).

    The only thing you may consider slightly different could be the font used. Check the Wiki source and compare with the Midori logo:

    Anyway, thanks for the fonts directory. More for my collection!;)

  3. Thanks for your quick responding, Rafael :)

    You see Japanese texts and some kanji characters are replaced by Chinese ones because you are using a Chinese Unicode font. As the name suggest, Unicode unifies some similar character among different languages, in particular, Chinese, Japanese and Korean (CJK); and therefore Unicode cannot handle both Japanese and Chinese perfectly. If you use a Japanese Unicode font, you see similar problems in Chinese texts.

    Here's the world's most reliable information about the Japanese language announced by the government of Japan: (see p.157).
    It doesn't use Unicode but a Japanese non-Unicode font embedded in PDF.

    As I said it's a minor annoyance about using a Chinese character for a Japanese word (midori). If you have no time, just skip it. Yet I guess it would be worth learning about Unicode anyway.

  4. Obviously I have a lot to learn from Japanese writing. I'll put my eye on this. But, as if we were telepaths, I was thinking these days about removing Midori text from the icon. It'll be more clear and simple without it.

    Thank you very very much for the information! ;)